Saturday, June 4, 2011

Challenge Week 17

In honor of Dads and Grand Dads and even male grads, week 17 challenge had to be an item for men so I made some cufflinks. I'm also getting 2 birds with one stone here (pun intended and no birds were harmed), because I'm starting a series in my newsletter on precious stones and their meanings.

First I started off with silver cufflinks with blue paua shells. They came out really nice, and I like the blue of the paua shell. Then I decided to use a tiger eye stone in my newsletter, so I made a gold pair of cuff links with tiger eye stones.

The paua shell is prized for it's beautiful, highly iridescent mother-of-pearl nacre it displays and is sometimes used to create imitation opal. It has a protective epoxy resin top to preserve the beauty of the shell. The origin of the stone that I used is New Zealand.

You can read about Tiger Eye in my newsletter, which will be coming out today. If you would like to subscribe, you can find a subscribe box at the bottom of the Home page on my website. You can also shop for gifts for Dad on my website on the Shop page.

Have a great week!  Enjoy the beautiful weather we are having and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment